The Coldwater and Area Studio Tour features the work of local and guest artisans & artists. We offer a diverse selection of work such as painting, jewelry, glass and metal work, photography, pottery, fibre art, and woodworking in studios, workshops and historic buildings in the lovely agricultural surroundings of Coldwater and the adjoining shores of Georgian Bay.
TOUR Date: Saturday, June 22 and Sunday, June 23, 2024 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Artist Involvement and Responsibilities
Coldwater and Area Studio Tour has thrived through the years with support from volunteers. The Studio Tour Volunteer Committee is looking for assistance in the following areas:
– distribution of brochures,
– signage drop off and pick up,
– marketing and event development
At minimum each artist is required to:
- Pick-up and deliver a minimum of 300 brochures to areas outside of Coldwater.
- Follow the Coldwater and Area Studio Tour Facebook page: facebook.com/coldwaterandareastudiotour/. LIKE or SHARE posts to expand the reach of the POSTS.
- Create Facebook/Instagram posts that include samples of your work /images, your artist biography or information about your artistry process, and tag to the studio tour Facebook/Instagram page @coldwaterareastudiotour should appear in your post. Many other groups SHARE and LIKE our pages so the marketing domino effect is an important aspect of our marketing efforts.
- Utilize your own social media channels with this same concept (Instagram, Twitter etc.).
- Invite your colleagues, former clients, potential clients, galleries, friends and family to see you at the Studio Tour. A special invitation will be created and sent to all participating artists that can be easily forwarded. Please email out the digital flyer and brochure in advance (.pdf will be provided).
- Post the Studio Tour brochure and date and locations on your website or social media (if applicable).
- Pick-up and set-up Studio Tour lawn signs prior to the tour (we will provide a map and further instructions).
Coldwater & Area Studio Tour Criteria and Guidelines for New Artists
1) Must be an artist who: has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions); is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition); is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially; has a history of public presentation or publication.
2) Artistic disciplines for the studio tour are generally considered to be “Fine Art,” which may include painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, photography, glasswork, jewellery, fiber art, woodworking and mixed media. If unsure, please inquire and we can provide some guidance.
3) The artist may display only his or her original artwork and reproductions thereof from his / her original designs as described on the application form (no copies of artwork by others or the work of others).
4) New artists will need to submit up to 5 pieces of their work as part of the jury process. You will be contacted the week following January 15, 2024 to advise if you have been accepted to the show.
5) The Coldwater Studio Tour is to promote the artists visual artwork and is not intended to be a showcase for other business ventures. Promotion of other activities will not be permitted.
Coldwater & Area Studio Tour Criteria and Guidelines for All Artists
6) If you are showing in your own studio, it must be safe for public attendance and have appropriate displays for your artwork. This includes space for parking, a clear and accessible entrance, pets must be contained and the space must present an appropriate studio atmosphere. The executive committee may require photos of your studio to determine the appropriateness.
7) If the Artist has their own location, they must be present at all times between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on both days of the studio tour.
8) Artists with studios must have Liability Insurance with coverage of at least $2 million for admitting the public into the studio. Guest artists in studio will require their own liability coverage separate from the host artist. Please consult your insurance advisor to determine personal requirements.
9) The Studio Tour Committee does not assume responsibility for any visitors, guests, activities or occurrences at the studios during this event. It is the responsibility of the artist to check with their insurance company with regard to any restrictions.
10) The artist shall behave in a reasonable and professional manner at all times while participating in the studio tour and related events. All artists are responsible for providing all display materials, lighting, signage, tables, etc., and setting up all their artwork. This may, at times, also require working with fellow artists to organize the space provided.
11) The organizers reserve the right to decline an application for participation or to have an artist removed from the studio tour for breach of this agreement. The organizers also reserve the right to rescind this agreement.
12) Once accepted and your payment processed as of February 28, 2024, there will be no refunds, unless the event is cancelled or postponed for reasons outside the organizer’s control. If refunds are issued, they may be for partial repayment, to cover any related costs associated with the tour.
13) The organizers of the studio tour and related events, their elected officials, directors, members, employees and agents assume no responsibility or liability for any loss, damage or injuries of any kind occurring or suffered either before or after or during participation in the studio tour or related events. The organizers, their elected officials, directors, members, employees and agents do not assume any liability or responsibility for damage to artwork or any other property owned by the artist and/or financial loss that may be incurred by the artist while participating as part of the tour.
14) All participants will post signage at their site and distribute brochures as well to advertise the tour to their own client contact list.
15) Complete your application package online by February 28, 2024 (11:59pm) including your payment. If mailing your application, all entries must be postmarked by the deadline date and must include payment. All photographs of work must be sent digitally to email@example.com
16) If you are mailing your application, please email high quality images of five examples of recent artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28, 2024. Keep in mind rectangular images may be cropped to a 1.75-2″ x 1.75-2″ square (max size) for the brochure. POOR QUALITY IMAGES may result in a REJECTION by the jury. Consider the value of getting your artwork professionally photographed.
PLEASE NOTE: the text you provide will be printed as is with no editing for spelling or grammatical errors.
Dates to remember
February 28th, 2024 Final application date for all entries
Studio Tour Fee:
$200. (due by 11:59 p.m. on February 28, 2024)
*Please note: all first time applicants are subject to a 25.00 jury fee, in addition to the fees noted above
If your jury application is not accepted, your fee will be returned, less the jury fee.
Applications are not considered final until all fees are paid.
Many visitors will be visiting our sites, so you must ensure that you are able to create the volume of work required.
The Tour reserves the right to request the withdrawal of a participant if these directives are not observed.
Cheques maybe mailed to:
Coldwater Studio Tour Group
20 Gray Street, Box 69
Coldwater, ON L0K 1E0