The Coldwater and Area Studio Tour (CAST) features the work of local and guest artisans & artists. We offer a diverse selection of work such as painting, jewelry, glass and metal work, photography, pottery, fibre art, and woodworking in studios, workshops and historic buildings in the lovely agricultural surroundings of Coldwater and the adjoining shores of Georgian Bay.
Artist Involvement and Responsibilities
CAST has thrived through the years with support from volunteers. The Studio Tour Volunteer Committee is looking for assistance in the following areas:
– distribution of brochures,
– signage drop off and pick up,
At minimum each artist is required to:
- Pick-up and deliver a minimum of 100 brochures to areas outside of Coldwater.
- Follow the CAST Facebook page: com/coldwaterandareastudiotour/. LIKE or SHARE posts to expand the reach of the POSTS.
- Create Facebook/Instagram posts that include samples of your work /images, your artist biography or information about your artistry process, and tag to the studio tour Facebook/Instagram page @coldwaterandareastudiotour should appear in your post. Many other groups SHARE and LIKE our pages so the marketing domino effect is an important aspect of our marketing efforts.
- Utilize your own social media channels with this same concept (Instagram, Twitter etc.).
- Invite your colleagues, former clients, potential clients, galleries, friends and family to see you at the Studio Tour. A special invitation will be created and sent to all participating artists that can be easily forwarded. Please email out the digital flyer and brochure in advance (.pdf will be provided).
- Post the Studio Tour brochure and date and locations on your website or social media (if applicable).
- Pick-up and set-up Studio Tour lawn signs prior to the tour (we will provide a map and further instructions).
Date: Saturday, June 24 and Sunday, June 25, 2023 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Coldwater & Area Studio Tour Criteria and Guidelines for New Artists
1) Must be an artist who: has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions); is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition); is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially; has a history of public presentation or publication.
2) Artistic disciplines for the studio tour are generally considered to be “Fine Art,” which may include painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, photography, glasswork, jewellery, fiber art and mixed media. If unsure, please inquire and we can provide some guidance.
3) The artist may display only his or her original artwork and reproductions thereof from his / her original designs as described on the application form (no kits, copies of artwork by others or the work of others).
4) New artists will need to submit up to 5 pieces of their work as part of the jury process. You will be contacted the week following January 15, 2023 to advise if you have been accepted to the show.
Coldwater & Area Studio Tour Criteria and Guidelines for All Artists
5) The studio or location must be appropriate for public attendance and have the required display equipment/furniture to properly display the work. The CAST Executive may require photographs of the premises to determine the appropriateness.
6) If the Artist has their own location, they must be present at all times between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm on both days of the studio tour.
7) Artists with studios must have Liability Insurance with coverage of at least $2 million for admitting the public into the studio. Guest artists in studio may require their own liability coverage separate from the host artist. Please consult your insurance advisor to determine personal requirements.
8) The Studio Tour Committee does not assume responsibility for any visitors, guests, activities or occurrences at the studios during this event. It is the responsibility of the artist to check with their insurance company with regard to any restrictions.
9) The artist shall behave in a reasonable and professional manner at all times while participating in the studio tour and related events.
10) The organizers reserve the right to decline an application for participation or to have an artist removed from the studio tour for breach of this agreement. The organizers also reserve the right to rescind this agreement.
11) Once accepted and your payment processed as of January 15, 2023, there will be no refunds, unless the event is cancelled or postponed for reasons outside the organizer’s control. If refunds are issued, they may be for partial repayment, to cover any related costs associated with the tour.
12) The organizers of the studio tour and related events, their elected officials, directors, members, employees and agents assume no responsibility or liability for any loss, damage or injuries of any kind occurring or suffered either before or after or during participation in the studio tour or related events. The organizers, their elected officials, directors, members, employees and agents do not assume any liability or responsibility for damage to artwork or any other property owned by the artist and/or financial loss that may be incurred by the artist while participating as part of the tour.
13) All participants will post signage at their site and distribute brochures as well to advertise the tour to their own client contact list.
14) Mail your entire application package or complete the online application by January 15, 2023 (11:59 p.m.) for early bird payment. Email to: email@example.com
15a) If you are mailing your application, please email high quality images of five examples of recent artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2023. Keep in mind rectangular images may be cropped to a 1.75-2″ x 1.75-2″ square (max size) for the brochure. POOR QUALITY IMAGES may result in a REJECTION by the jury. Consider the value of getting your artwork professionally photographed.
15b) Include an Artist Statement for the brochure (50 words or less) a short professional biography for the website (100 words max.)
PLEASE NOTE: the text you provide will be printed as is with no editing for spelling or grammatical errors.
Dates to remember
January 15th, 2023 Early Bird Application Deadline
Week following January 15th, 2022 Notification letters sent out
Studio Tour Fee:
Early bird: $175. (due by 11:59 p.m. on January 15, 2023)
Late fee: $200. (due by 11:59 p.m. on January 30, 2023)
Please note: all first time applicants are subject to a 25.00 jury fee, in addition to the fees noted above
Many visitors will be visiting our sites, so you must ensure that you are able to create the volume of work required.
The Tour reserves the right to request the withdrawal of a participant if these directives are not observed